Documenting Life on our small holding. Follow the adventures with our animals from birth through to meat production curing of hams, creating bacon, etc, experimenting with producing as much as we can from our little farm. Experience real quality of life. All the ups and downs including Planning permission wars....



Just an everyday walk with the kids!!

Friday 21 January 2011

Piggy day!!

WORMING....
Today the neighbour gave us ther pig, they are moving on and had no where for her in there new life, She is about 3 yrs old and a bit thin compared to our pigs, also been indoors in a small space like the pig crates in size...

She seemed friendly enough and as a youngster she had lived on our farm, so after giving her a good feed in the trailer so the others wouldnt confront her over food, we locked the others in there bedroom whilst we put her in the piggy field, she was quite wobbly on her feet as hadnt been out for a while, she just ate  and ate.... before we let her into the field we obviously wormed her and checked her over..

Whilst my lot were contained, I went in armed with a bottle of red nail varnish and a hyperdermic!! Worming time!!!
The piglets were not too difficult to do all but 1! As we wormed a piglet we marked them with a red dot.... Farmers would use a spray can of marker, but we improvised....
Babe who is quite a huge beast didnt want to be dne and as she has no fat just pure muscle being a Pietrain, it was an extremely dificult day, I next time I think I will be getting an alternate method for her, oral adminisration, she really didnt like me after that....

Pig introduction....
Well the new pig was really quite aggresive even at half the size of babe, they had 2 confrontations, sadly she bit Babes ear in one but Babe, remains top pig, it quite scarey when you see there emense power, scuffulls over, the pigs just gave the new comer a wide birth and Babe did her usual trick of banning her from the comunal bedrom, that is her ritual for 2 nights and on the 3rd she allows the newcomer to join them all, So she had to sleep in the spare pig bedroom on her own, Shes ever so wobbly on her feet and very vocal, but she will be fine when she builds her muscles up again and gets fitter...

More tidying!!
The rest of the day was spent tidying up preparing for the snow I feel sure is on its way!!

Dinner..
BEEF of course.....
I defrosted a lovely fillet of beef, unsure how to cook it I rang Chris my friend from the caravan park, she is desperate for me to bring round some Dexter beef for her...
She suggested Beef En croute, mmm thought I .. I love it with salmon.. so I quickly made a batch of pastry, with my secret ingredient.. Atora suet, its so easy then and sparkling water... with a bit of mustard powder for added taste...
Then, the pepercorn sauce, out of a packet, well no ones perfect....  I remebered I had a tool for making lacey pastry, lattice I think its called...So after tipping my cupboards upside down, off I set making pretty tops.
So rolled out pastry and tops seperately, with a dollop of sauce, place the beef fillet on top, then, A little more sauce, top it off with  the lattice, paint with some egg and in the Rayburn, After running out of beef I decided to make Joe a Brie cheese one, which looked good.....
Half an hour later, wowI decided to make another batch of pastry and made some beef sausage rolls.... Perfect...
So that was the end to another perfect day in happyness, or so I thought....

I recieved a phone call from a friend....
I was full of how perfect life was and how much I had in life and how lucky I was... He just said oh if your happy with nothing,, and if you dont want anything else in life,,, and how I have nothing worth owning, that I had nothing, and how I was waisting my life and would never have anything and would never make a farmer....
mmmm....
well the old me would have been devasted and upset,

But, no.... I'm happy living in a caravan with no running water, Soon to be fixed, With a lean too with my lovely Ray living in.. thats the Rayburn...  a Jacuzzi bath that I collect rain water for and boil up on Ray..A small holding with loads of jobs to do, A blossoming writting career.... Perfect hubby and wonderful kids, the life I want.... How dare people who call them selves friends try and put me down and make me feel so worthless... how dare they!!!!

Plus I have no morgage and own my own home, I have a very small carbon foot print, I'm nearly totaly self reliant, have no debts, No major worries, and live in my own self made paradise... RANT over ... Well... the cheek of some people....

No comments:

Post a Comment