Documenting Life on our small holding. Follow the adventures with our animals from birth through to meat production curing of hams, creating bacon, etc, experimenting with producing as much as we can from our little farm. Experience real quality of life. All the ups and downs including Planning permission wars....



Just an everyday walk with the kids!!

Monday 10 January 2011

What a Lovely day with my son.. down on the farm!!!

A Horid job....

I seriously had a wonderful day doing a revolting job with Andre's help, he such a good boy he will be 11 this July time does fly...
The pigs have been getting out so I eventually tackled the electric fence, armed with rubber gloves, water proof trousers, awarm clothing, I set about fishing the electric tape out of the slurry, yuk!! the pigs as the eat and poop make the mud move like a great wave and it start engulfing things... they are very good at flattening out land using this process in winter, My next task was reinforcing the fence with extra posts and highering the wire as the piglets are now 30 odd weeks so much taller, I also had to pull out the spare fence that they had trod into the snow and mud that had frozen solid into the ground... not nice, Whilst there We decided to have a general tidy up, after all of that the fence still wasnt carrying any electric, even though there seem to be no reason, no earthing out, a clear perfect run for the fence, conected properly , as e problem the elecric conector had fallen out of the crocodile clip which clips onto the wire, easy to miss in the snow, reconected the pigs started screaming, I couldnt help but laugh as I thought I really shouldnt but... it did prove it worked.. we got the tester out and the wore held a good 3000 to 5000 volts which is the higest you could ask for..
Working with Andre made it easier and fun I do love him so much..

We next tackled a tidy up operation, picking all things up that had been hidden by the snow, next we decanted the last of the pig food into a dustbin and put a tight lid on... We also moved onto the chickens collecting all the wire we could together so that soon we can build them a huge area, I feel mean not letting them freerange at the moment, but there are so many foxes aout and we have had such heavy losses to them...
I might even put an electric fence around hem to upset Mr. Fox...

We also collected some logs and as a treat I took Andre off into the forest on hs quad for another lesson, I like to make sure he knows how to drive safely and efficiently so his petrol will stretch as far as it can....Dotty and Sasha had a great run with us and are getting on so well...

EBAY..

I've spent all night buying veg seeds on ebay after chatting with Sarah about her veg plot, I need to get a riggle on by the sounds of it, she is so organised and digging her potatoe plot already.. I shall eave mine to the pig power a little longer, but it has made me think about getting my poly tunnels sited!!
I spent abuot £60 on thousands of seeds, no flowers just veg... I'm worried now that I wont have enough room, I definately need to sell some veg boxes this year to help with cash flow...

No comments:

Post a Comment