Documenting Life on our small holding. Follow the adventures with our animals from birth through to meat production curing of hams, creating bacon, etc, experimenting with producing as much as we can from our little farm. Experience real quality of life. All the ups and downs including Planning permission wars....



Just an everyday walk with the kids!!

Sunday 6 February 2011

Rain Rain.... and Gale force!

I am so tired....
It feels like days we have been stuck here in the caravan unable to go out, the winds are so severe, we dare not go out, in case something blows into us, Joe dashes out if theres a break in the weather to feed animals and bring in tons of wood for Ray, my rayburn...
hes proving to be a typical man, loves his belly and never knows when enough is enough!!! But hes worth his weight in gold, last night after a good 5 hour stint doing my washing, with harvested rain water, carried in by the bucket!!! Ray was good enough to dry all three loads...

Its so tiring, rinsing in the bath, then reloading to spin, then loading more water in to wash and heat the water, but I have it down to a tea now, I still have no probem doing this huge chore, as I'm grateful for the rain and being abe to wash our clothes, I used the last nights bath water to wash the dirty load first true recycling...lol...

There are friends of mine being scathing as per usual, saying I sed a lot of time doing nothing, 4 hours to heat a bath up  5 hours to do the washing!! but what else is there to do in this rain storm...lol... I wil not be put down I chose this life..

New front door!!

Today Joe spent the day modifying our front door and put back the old caravan door, the gale and torrent of water that had been coming through was defeating all Rays best efforts... Now with a lot of muttering, banging, some old fidge panels, to fill in the gap as the new door is smaller, a lot of expanding polystieine all is well and job done...

But I'm so tired, I'm desperate to go out and work, It so frightening sitting here feeling the caravan lifting and banging the sides and roof are visibly moving by bout 4 inches in and out, or up and down... the new building behind us today actually lost one of the main roof joists, a huge piece of timber 10 x 4 inch, by 10 foot long fell from the roof top, 6 meters up the wind had loosened the bolts holding it up there, thanks goodness no one was under it when it landed.... I did hear a huge bang 2 nights ago... now I know what it was....

Trees have been falling all in the lanes, we are too scared to go out in the car incase one lands on us!! When the wind has given up we shall have to go out with the trailer and chain saw and collect some offerings for Ray!!

Right I'm off, Ray as cooked a lovely chicken soup, which has been bublling all day, i through a whole chicken in my jam kettle and a few veg and left it till its falling apart, wow its good so bye ... I'm off.... Pudding is pear tart....yum yum

No comments:

Post a Comment