Documenting Life on our small holding. Follow the adventures with our animals from birth through to meat production curing of hams, creating bacon, etc, experimenting with producing as much as we can from our little farm. Experience real quality of life. All the ups and downs including Planning permission wars....



Just an everyday walk with the kids!!

Sunday 22 August 2010

So today I carry on as if nothing happened last night,

We have decided to fence off our new grass field making it chicken proof so the 30 odd chucks can concentrate there scratching and picking skills on helping me cut and eat the grass down, not dig and scratch my flower beds, and poop all over my path especially the entrance to the caravan on my wooden decking, or attack all of the stacked boxes of veg we bring home for the pigs, and there favoutite occupation will also be stopped which is.... pooping all over our tools in our tool shed.... 

We have managed to get the posts all in and tomorrow we will get the wire up, Joe and I had our usual mild altications... I want things done in straight tidy lines with posts all at the same level etc and Joe just wants to go go go!! Throw things in and move onto the next job, but as usual I won and yes it may not be finished today but its looking smart and is sure to last a good while as long as none of my lovely neighbours kick it down in the night....
I also popped out to buy some pond plants, I saw an add put in the local Morrisons for water lilys plus 5 other pond plants for £15, so phone calls later and off I went....well what a lovely man, he showed us around his garden, introduced me to his 2 colonees of bees, which I stood about a foot from taking pictures of there loaded up little bodies with pollens sticking to there legs, he told me how there were gaurd bees on duty around the hive entrance and explained that the wasps who go and raid them, of there golden honey have to get past the gaurds .. as I watced them 2 wasps tried to gain entrance and they were attacked having there wings damaged by the bees and then they killed them, amaiazing. They were so interesting to watch,  I vow to keep bees next year and he has agreed to mentor me!! Then he took us up the garden path and showed me a lovely little den he'd constructed, the garden had 30 years of his love and attention, as we talked he realised he knew me, when I was a designer many years ago, I used to buy yarn from him and his wife in Welshpool, isn't it a small world, he spoke of  how he'd lost his wife 2 years ago and had lost heart in the garden, but what a lovely paradise he had created, he gave me loads of tips and samples of his veg etc. 
Whilst we were in his garage I spotted a jam kettle for cooking up jam, his wife used to make the most lovely jams, but now he said all the fruit on the loaded trees was going to waste, so I offered him a deal, if we come and pick the plums, pears, apples etc I will give him some of our meat produce... he like that and we shook hands on the deal, he found me some lovely plants, 2 water lilys, Iris, variuos bog and pond plants well so many that my boot was full and the inside of my estate car... I began to get a little concerned about how much I'd just spent...I was begining to think maybe £100.... he said £20 would do, what a deal, I had a lovely afternoon , found a new friend, done good deals, and learnt some great tips... lovely or even Perfik as Pop Larkin would say.... Any how when I got back  Chef Andre took the job of cooking a lovely dinner, slow roast pork leg, luxury mash, yorky puds, lovely thick gravy with my home made apple jelly. whilst Joe and I put in posts for chicken enclosure, the new grass field will be theres any how, I now need to go out as its getting dark and the dogs are going mad some one is about.... will add pictures of the gardens that I visited today...

No comments:

Post a Comment